Ronson Decanter Deluxe, 1947


This Ronson Decanter looks different than other table lighters from the yesteryear era - like oil lamps from the late XVIII century or, which is most obvious, like a decanter from After the fall of the Roman Empire which were made mainly of bronze, silver, gold, or earthenware. There were four different types of Decanter lighters - the one in the picture is the youngest one which is quite common nowadays. It was manufactured from 1947 to late 50's both in USA and Canada (Toronto). This wick lighter has a radiused rim on the top and an interesting berry and leaf pattern on the boulby base.

Decanter is a handy lighter covered with a thick layer of silver. The lighter looks bigger in the picture than it is in the reality. The base is padded with green felt and the silver plate is protected by a transparent lacquer which often is partly deteriorated (see picture).

Type: petrol (wick) lighter

Writing on the underside:
RONSON (R)
NEWARK,N.J.U.S.A.
U.S. PATENT RE.NO.19023
CANADA PATS. 288,148-289,889
RONSON
"DECANTER"
TRADE MARK

Scarcity: common

Value for very good–mint condition: $35.00–50.00 (approx €25.00–45.00)

Weight: 265 grams (0,58 pounds)

Dimensions:
  • height: 11.3 cm (4.4")
  • width: 6.0 cm (2.4")
  • depth: 6.0 cm (2.4")

15 comments :

Anonymous said...

I have a Ronson Decanter with a capital I hallmark on the bottom and I was wondered what this means.

Sebastian said...

Can you drop me an email with an attached photo of it?

Anonymous said...

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, I have the Decanter with the hallmark. I can send you a picture but I am not sure how to go about that.

Anonymous said...

From image here isn't the the 4th issue based on the top?

Sebastian said...

Yes, the Decanter on the picture is the most recent one and is very common.

Anonymous said...

So if it is common does it have any worthwhile value to it

Anonymous said...

I have a Ronson "Decanter" with U.S.Patent 2481195 on it. Can you tell me the year of this lighter?

Unknown said...

Hi can you tell me how to change the flint in the Ronson Decanter? thanks

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me where to take this lighter to be refurbished? Is it OK to polish it?
Thank you.
PT

Anonymous said...

Oh I just saw my answer the Ronson Decanter Delux 1947-1950 I have not cleaned it in over 30 yrs either oops !

d said...

Nice blog you have, found my lighter from here and learnt some interesting details off it. Thank you and keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Hi nice article here. I recently picked one up and had to change out the flint. It works good now but I have a feeling the wick is getting really short. I was wondering if you have ever changed a wick in this and if so how did you do it??? I see the 2 screws for fluid and the flint but no other way to get inside the lighter. Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
Awesome article! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Did the Ronson Decanter table lighter come in a set of tableware?

tootall1121 said...

My decanter Ronson does not say ronson on the side of the mechanism, it has a registered mark, the R in a circle, an says Ronson on the back of the mechanism. In all other respects, it's the same as the one pictured, so far as I can tell. Mean any thing? Is mine older?

pepe said...

I have a fire than looks exactly like this,but mine is m.t.c. can you tellme some about that.

Post a Comment