Ronson Melrose, 1953


Ronson Melrose was first manufactured in 1953 in Newark, New Jersey, USA. It is a solid oval-shaped petrol (wick) lighter with an interesting ornate band of little roses and leaves which encircle the center of the base. Made in Art Deco style.

This quadruple silver-plated table lighter was based on the Adonis fitment. Two finishes are known – satin and polished (see picture) silver. Relatively hard to find in excellent or mint condition. The base is padded with green felt and the silver plate is protected by a transparent lacquer which often is partly deteriorated and the silver tarnishes.

Type: petrol (wick) lighter

Writing on the bottom:
RONSON (R)
Newark. N.J. U.S.A.
S. PATENT 2.481.195
RONSON
MELROSE

Scarcity: uncommon–rare

Value for good–mint condition: $40.00–80.00 (approx €30.00–60.00)

Weight: 355 grams (0,78 pounds)

Dimensions:
  • height: 6.8 cm (2.67")
  • width: 8.5 cm (3.5")
  • depth: 5.3 cm (2")

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

I have the melrose, the mayfair, the juno, the rhodium pencil lighter, and many more. I can be contacted at ebonimarie@yahoo.com if anyone is interested.

Anonymous said...

I have a Ronson Melrose it is in mint condition.I can't see myself selling it for 80.00 bucks. The thing is older than me. Over 50 years old ,its uncommon ,rare and really heavy.Besides it goes well with my decor.So maybe another 10 or 15 years the value will go up and i'll consider but as of now i'll hold on to it.twandataylor@att.net

Anonymous said...

Hello, in cleaning out my parent's house I found a melrose...green felt is gone from the bottom and it needs to be polished but I am willing to sell it for $40. I can be contacted at jleepearce@gmail.com.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I have the ronson melrose 1953us lighter good condition. Contacted me at. Alexm6926@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I have the melrose1953us lighter my mother won it @the canadian national exhibition in the ring toss game when she was 8 yrs. old.LOL it is in very good condition it needs a polish the felt is gone .Will sell for60.00.contact@tamarajohnson69@hotmail.ca

christine said...

i have the 1953 melrose lighter with the original tag and still has the felt on bottom. anybody interested email ccomo4@yahoo.com

Post a Comment