A.S.R. Heritage Set, 1949


The "Heritage" Set was manufactured between 1949 and 1953 by the American Safety Razor Co in the United States (Brooklyn, New York). The set consists of a lighter, cigarette holder and a tray. It was available in gleaming copper and rhodium finish or solid brass. A very original set due to its unusual design and the black bakelite handles.

The lighter as well the cigarette urn are standing on three legs which are padded with green felt. They are marked on the bottom:

ASR (R)
MADE IN
U.S.A.

The lighter insert has an automatic 'Light-Switch Action' and stays lit without holding. It is marked:

A.S.R. CORP.
315 JAY ST.
BROOKLYN, N.Y.
PATENT D-146973
-
PAT. RE. 23,207
MADE IN U.S.A.

The tray is unmarked. It is relatively light and engraved with different flourish patterns.

One of the advertisement published in the Times in 1950 says about this set: "Decorators say it's the last word in table touches for living room, library or den! This magnificent A.S.R. 'Heritage' Table Lighter is at home in any setting, traditional or modern. And what a wonderfully different lighter it is! No other like it. Only the 'Heritage' has a handle! You can actually serve a light!"

Scarcity: uncommon–rare

Value for good–mint condition (set): $85.00–150.00 (approx €60.00–110.00)

Weight: tray 132 grams (0,29 pounds), cigarette urn 152 grams (0,34 pounds), lighter 170 grams (0,37 pounds)

Dimensions:

1. Lighter
  • height: 7.2 cm (2.8")
  • width: 12.5 cm (4.9")
  • depth: 5.5 cm (2.17")
2. Tray

  • height: 1.2 cm (0.47")
  • width: 23.5 cm (9.25")
  • depth: 17.0 cm (6.7")
3. Cigarette holder
  • height: 5.5 cm (2.17")
  • width: 12.5 cm (4.9")
  • depth: 5.5 cm (2.17")

22 comments :

Anonymous said...

Found the lighter today in near new condition ,unlit green felt feet and all! Thanks for helping me identify it. Regards Phil

Eugene O'Neill said...

I have the identical lighter:
A.S.R. CORP. 315 JAY ST. BROOKLYN, N.Y.
Patent number D-146973
the other side says: PAT. RE. 23207
MADE IN U.S.A.

However, it is a brass & steel pocket lighter with what appears to be an alligator cover. Since it is a pocket lighter, I doubt it would fall under the "Heritage" Set. Could you provide me with any information you might have on this lighter?
Thank You,
Gene

Anonymous said...

Would you be able to light a cigar with this set?

Anonymous said...

I just purchased the set without the tray. How would I go about finding the tray and what is the set worth without?

Nonie said...

I have the complete 3 pc. just as pictured. It is in near 'mint' conditon. Would be interested in selling.

Anonymous said...

I just found two trays in mint condition in a storage trunk. Did not have any idea what they were. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Nonie let me know how much email gdl0691@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I have the lighter which I am about to list on eBay. It is in excellent condition but needs a polish!

If anyone is interested and would like to make an offer before I list on eBay, please email me at e@grfx.biz.

Have a nice day!

Matt.

Anonymous said...

i have the copper 3 piece set and original mag, article. it was my grandma's its in good condition. glad its worth something and its not junk, i collect junk, says my wife. thanks for the info.

Art said...

I just bought a plated lighter and urn (one felt foot missing on each and no tray) and was going to fill it and use it in my screen porch for lighting cigars. It doesn't appear to have been used and is in near new condition. It caught my eye just because it was unique, it also reminded me of my aunt and uncle, and was only $25. Should I not use it and look for a tray or is the value only in the eye of the owner?

Anonymous said...

I have the lighter. Great/excellent condition. Felt still on feet. Wick looks like was never lit? I am interested in selling. Anyone interested email me mmascellino5@aol.com I can send picture if needed.

Anonymous said...

I likewise have a very nice non tarnish rhodium table top model. All embosing is very clear and wick is nice. No felt on feet but otherwise seemingly perfect. I'll take $60 for this wonderful church thrift store find. Call 812-853-3077. Thanks.

steve trincanati said...

Listing this item in mint unused condition on eBay today. Calling it. A.S.R. Heritage Lighter Set. Free shipping for anyone who requests it having seen this post. eBay ID is bidwell39

Anonymous said...

Just found A.S.R lighter patent D- 146973 good condition brass will sale best offer . EMAIL dgfishman122283745@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

how do i find parts , i need the inside guts and the bottom part [in my lighter im missing all the cotton like stuffing

Anonymous said...

I finally took the time to look up the lighter and I do have this one ...I would never polish it...wiped off with a dry towl

Unknown said...

I have the lighter itself would anyone be interested??

SD_Girl said...

How do you replace the flint?

Unknown said...

I just found a brass lighter a.s.r corp 315 jay st. Brooklyn ny patent d-146973. If anyone knows anything about this lighter please reply . Thanks.

Unknown said...

I just found a brass lighter a.s.r corp 315 jay st. Brooklyn ny patent d-146973. If anyone knows anything about this lighter please reply . Thanks.

Unknown said...

I have the brass tray to the set make me a offer at Gregory.pedersen69@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi, I have a Lustrous Mother of Pearl semi automatic A.S.R. lighter, from 1950. I am looking for the insert if anyone is able to help or has this lighter as well please email me at jkdeak@gmail.com with subject 'Lighter' so I know it's not spam. Any help leading me towards the right direction would be wonderful as well!

Thank you

Post a Comment