Ronson Diana, 1949


Ronson Diana is a silver-plated polished and satin finished petrol table lighter made from zink. Manufactured in England, Canada and USA from 1949 till 1955. The lighter has a rectangle monogram shield. There is also a version without the monogram shield which is rare.

The lighter looks bigger in the picture than it is in the reality. The base is padded with green felt and the silver plate is protected by a transparent lacquer.

It is worth to know that the origin of the name Diana comes from Roman mythology. Diana was the goddess of the hunt and later also of the moon and its light.

Type: petrol (wick) lighter

Writing on the base:

RONSON "DIANA"
NEWARK, N.J. U.S.A.,
U.S. PAT. NO. 9023,
OTHER U.S. AND FOR.
PATS. PDG.
D 184401

or

RONSON
DIANA
RONSON TORONTO CANADA
CANADA PAT.449.159
JUNE 15.1948
OTHER PATS PDG
U.S.PATPE 13.02
2.481.95
D.54.40
SILVER PLATE
ZINK

or

RONSON
"DIANA"
TRADE MARKS
MADE IN ENGLAND
BRIT. PAT.
621570
R.D. NO8.
851068
858628

Scarcity: uncommon

Value for good–mint condition: $25.00–50.00 (approx €19.00–38.00)

Weight: 240 grams (0,53 pounds)

Dimensions:
  • height: 5.0 cm (2.0")
  • width: 7.0 cm (2.8")
  • depth: 3.2 cm (1.3")

10 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I just found this lighter at an estate sale and I like it but I can't seem to get a spark for it to light. I've filled it with fuel and lite the wick with a match and it seems to work fine so I'm wondering if you can tell me how to replace the flint on this lighter?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
Grand Rapids, MI

Anonymous said...

You unscrew the small screw on bottom, take out the spring and tap out the old flint..
Then replace flint and put spring back inside. I just went through a similar process, although my the old flint in mine had become corroded and clogged, so it took some work with a long straight needle to get the old flint out.
One I got that out, it was like new with the flint. You can purchase the flint at Walgreen's or Tobacco shop.
Hope thats helpful.

Anonymous said...

I have this lighter ( it was my mother's), but when I try to make it work the hinge seems stuck. It won't open up at the end where the flame should be. Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you,
Marcie
Manhattan Beach, CA

Anonymous said...

I was able to find a great Ronson lighter repair person in Los Angeles, CA
The address is: Ronson Repair
PO Box 9480
Glendale, CA 91226.

He fixed my lighter (the hinge was stuck and it wouldn't light) and sent it back for $25. He was very thorough and quick.
Marcie
Manhattan Beach, CA

madashtae said...

I have this lighter. It is a bit tarnished but works smashingly! On the bottom however it dates it to June 15 1948. Can anyone tell me more about this. The full bottom reads;
Ronson Diana
Ronson Toronto Canada
Canada pat 440159
June 15 1948
Other pat SPDG
US pat SRE 19023
2481195
0154401
Everything I've read says they were made starting in 1949 but this would imply otherwise.

Sebastian said...

Thank you for your contribution. The 1948 refers only to the issued patent. The lighter itself was marketed since 1949.

Anonymous said...

I have the following:

RONSON "DIANA" Also has a little circle with a sidways 'R' on it
NEWARK, N.J. U.S.A.,
U.S. PAT. NO. 19023,
OTHER U.S. AND FOR.
PATS. PDG.
D 154401

Can anyone tell me how much this is worth and where the best place to sell it is?

I can be emailed at nan3750@aol.com

Thank you

Unknown said...

How do I change the wick???

Anonymous said...

Hi I have this lighter from my dad and it is a bit tarnished. I was wondering if anyone knew if this can be replaced some how???

Thanks

Manoj said...

I have the following:

RONSON
"DIANA"
TRADE MARKS
MADE IN ENGLAND
BRIT. PAT.
621570
R.D. NO8.
851068
858628

Can anyone tell me how much this is worth and where the best place to sell it is?

I can be emailed at mnjshr@gmail,com

Thank you

Post a Comment